Thursday, September 25, 2008

Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott


Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott--what can I say, but, "Wow!" Kidnapped at 10 from a school field trip, and held captive by a psycho child molester until age 15, "Alice" has to choose her replacement, knowing she would rather be dead than alive. If you've ever wondered what Elizabeth Smart felt, or Shawn Hornbeck (who had to choose his own replacement), then read this book. It's obviously a gritty topic, meant for older teens. It's a quick read--I read the whole thing in 2 hours--but a very important one. I'm anxious to hear what others think of it. I'm giving it a MAYBE, but I am tentative, because this book definitely falls into the category of "depressing teenager book."
***By the way, this title isn't on our original list, but I think it's important enough to add.***If anyone wants to borrow it, let me know and I'll send it!

7 comments:

Librarykat said...

The book took me a little longer to read, because it did make me uneasy. I think the book is well written, and I think the ending has some real redeeming value (without being sappy or unrealistic).

I think this could be a very important book, although not a feel good one. So I'd give it a yay for now.

Deb Motley said...

I can't say I liked it. It's like watching an accident from which you can't look away. Teens who read A Child Called It would get into this. It fits all the criteria for thumb's up...teen appeal, good writing, enduring (unfortunately)theme. So I give it a yay, too, even though it makes me feel unclean.

Librarykat said...

That's kind of how I felt about it, the unclean thing. I had one teen, who usually sticks to more of the "chick lit" books check it out. She said she cried at the end and loved the book.

pandamans said...

Just finished. Definite thumbs up.

Julie Beukema said...

Since A Child Called It has such teen appeal, this one definitely would as well. To repeat a recurring phrase, it was a HARD read. And yet, at the end, there is that small glimpse of hope and redemption. I give it a Yea, but almost feel the book should come with a warning?

Allison said...

I'm so glad this was a short book. Disturbing but good. I'm a yes for now.

Katie said...

I am much more in the middle with this one. I understand the importance of it, but I just can't get behind it as the best teen book of this year.