Sunday, September 28, 2008

Afrika by Colleen Craig


This rarely talked about and I think misunderstood topic is given a good reading in Afrika. Kim, the daughter of an expatriate South African, returns to that country with her mom who is reporting on the Truth and Reconciliation Commission. Kim, who grew up in Canada, doesn't know who her father is and why her mom left South Africa in the first place. Throughout the book the reader learns about the effects of apartheid, both past and present. It was interesting to me to see how the Truth and Reconciliation Commission was received and what life was like for both whites and blacks post apartheid. That said, I don't think this book has too much teen appeal. The search for her father gives a plot to the book and I think it would be a good one to read for a school unit on Africa (or racism), but I'm not sure too many kids would pick it up on their own. I give it a low maybe.

No comments: