Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Lamplighter by D.M. Cornish


In this second book of the Monster Blood Tattoo Trilogy, Rossamund Bookchild is now a prentice lamplighter. Threnody, a monster hunter, is now with the lamplighters for training. This 602 page book, has an additional 100 pages of appendices, most of which is a glossary. Since I didn't read the first book, I had to flip back to the glossary so many times in the first 100 pages, I hate to admit it, that I gave up. At least one of the definitions had referred me back to the first book. So, I think, needless to say, I don't believe this book can stand alone. The illustrations are wonderful and the author obviously put a lot of effort into world building. I have to vote Nay.

1 comment:

Julie Beukema said...

I would vote Nay as well. While I do enjoy this series, it is definitely not for everyone. It reminded me of the Lord of the Rings series, lots and lots of description interspersed with some great action scenes.