Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary Pearson


Jenna wakes up from a coma and discovers that she has no memory of the past year. Things are decidedly strange in her new home, her parents are desperate for her to remember the "jenna" she was, her grandmother seems to hate her, and she can't figure out why they are hidden away in a small California town instead of home in Massachusetts. In a sci-fi thriller-ish way, Jenna finds that she is not the person she used to be and that her parents are responsible for criminal actions.
As I read this, I was heavily reminded of Eva by Peter Dickinson. I think Jenna will have great teen appeal, but I didn't find the writing to be all that remarkable. It gets a maybe from me. I'm anxious to hear what others think.

4 comments:

Deb Motley said...

It took me a while to get into this. Maybe I'm shallow, but, except that she was used as a guinea pig, I'm not sure why Jenna was so upset. Her parents saved her. She seemed to have a soul to me. Maybe I missed something. Anyway, I like that there is good science fiction our for girls. I give this a maybe.

Patty said...

I'm sorry to sit on the fence, but I'm agreeing with the "maybes". I could probably be swayed either way on this one.

Pat said...

I listened to this so maybe that makes a difference. It was very well done as an audio and one could feel the anguish in Jenna as she discovers the truth about herself. So I am voting a Yes.

Allison said...

I'm a fence sitter too, though I'm leaning more to the yes side of the fence. It also reminded me of Eva too. I did enjoy it but I had hoped for more at the end, or rather more before the epilogue.