Monday, February 23, 2009

Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson


Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson
As the Revolutionary War begins, thirteen-year-old Isabel wages her own fight...for freedom. Promised freedom upon the death of their owner, she and her sister, Ruth, in a cruel twist of fate become the property of a malicious New York City couple, the Locktons, who have no sympathy for the American Revolution and even less for Ruth and Isabel. When Isabel meets Curzon, a slave with ties to the Patriots, he encourages her to spy on her owners, who know details of British plans for invasion. She is reluctant at first, but when the unthinkable happens to Ruth, Isabel realizes her loyalty is available to the bidder who can provide her with freedom.

5 comments:

Patty said...

I listened to this one on audio.
I didn't really care for the narrator--too much nasal noise (I was going to put "nasily" but I don't know how to spell it)
I think it's an important work, but I'm not sure how popular it might be.

Allison said...

When it comes to HF about slaves during the revolution, this by far is my favorite. I could really feel for all of the characters. I could love them and love to hate them. That being said it is just outside of my top 5.

Librarykat said...

This one helped me remember that I do really enjoy Historical Fiction. I think it was a really great story, but it isn't the strongest book of the year.

pandamans said...

Good story -- but it just stops with them in Jersey. Seems like you would have to read the upcoming Forge to get anywhere with this -- as it isn't one of those books that leaves it up to your imagination as to what happens with the characters. It depends on its sequel -- so it won't be getting my nod.

Josh B. said...

I really liked this a lot. I did not really want to read it and kept putting it off, but was very pleasantly surprised. However, it is simply not complete without the next book, so it wont make the cut this time.