Monday, February 23, 2009

Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George


Based on a Norse Myth, a young girl, whose mother neglected to give her a name, has an encounter with the White Deer and can now talk to animals. A White Bear, called an isbjorn asks her to come away with him for a year in exchange for making her family wealthy. She goes with him to an ice palace and learns that everyone there is under an enchantment woven by the troll queen, of whom they are all terrified. She doesn't quite make it the year and tries to undo the consequences of her disregard of the instructions given her.

5 comments:

pandamans said...

Reading now. This one seems to be a little young.

Allison said...

I read this and really enjoyed this. I don't think it is too young. I just think there is nothing in the content that could/would prevent a younger person to read it too. Like twilight. I was worried about being able to follow the story (I've never read the fairytale the book is based on). There was a point or two that that the story dragged for me though. Great book but doesn't break my top 5.

Anna said...

I really enjoyed this - thought that it was a lovely retelling of an old tale.

Librarykat said...

My main problem with this book is how much it resembles East. Still love the story, but it doesn't really stand out as being unique or original when it is another retelling of a story that was already retold to much acclaim a few years ago.

Patty said...

This story is kind of forgettable to me.