Monday, February 23, 2009

Mexican Whiteboy by Matt de la Pena



Danny is spending the summer in National City with his Mexican relatives while his mother tries out living with her new boyfriend in San Francisco. Danny has essentially stopped talking; his heart is broken by his father's abandonment three years earlier. The only thing that Danny really seems to care about is baseball, yet even his passion and talent for the game can't earn him a spot on the team at his private prep school back home. During one intense summer Danny comes to terms with his depression and anger, perfects his game, hangs out with his cousin Sofia and her crew of tough-yet-caring gangsta friends, finds first love, and discovers what really happened with his father.

4 comments:

Librarykat said...

I ended up really liking this book. I think it is near my top 5. I've recommended it to quiet a few boys so far.

Patty said...

I just finished this one and liked it quite a bit. I think it appeals to sport-minded girls, too. My favorite scene is the one with the green and red lollipops! There's been a lot of recent teen books which feature shy characters, which I think is great!

Allison said...

I thought it ended well but I had a really hard time getting into it. Definitely near the bottom for me.

Anna said...

I really liked this one! An intense read that I didn't want to set down!