Monday, February 23, 2009

Last Exit to Normal by Michael Harmon



When Ben is a young teen his father tells both him and his mom that he is gay. Bens mom splits and Ben is left with his father, feeling like his very existence is a result of his dads lie. Now Ben is 17, and after he has been acting out with drugs, drinking, etc, for the last few years His father with his boyfriend Edward, also known as Ben's "Momdad", make the decision to move the family out of Spokane to rural Montana so they can live with Edwards rather strict mother, in the hopes that a new life will help straighten Ben out. Unfortunately the whole family sticks out like a sore thumb and Ben does not really fit in very well as the only skateboard punk in a town full of cowboys. As if this is not enough, he soon starts to realize that there are some dark secrets involved with his 11 year old neighbor Billy. Now Ben has to try and come to grips with his own situation all the while trying to fit in to his new surroundings and try to help his young neighbor.

6 comments:

Josh B. said...

I loved this book. This one, much like "2 parties..." seemed to come out of nowhere to me. I think the writing was great, the characters funny and relatble, and the story flowed very well. This is definately in my top 5.

Allison said...

Loved it. I've already ready read it twice. The character's momdad is great and so is the strict grandmother.

Patty said...

I liked this one, too. You're right, Josh, about how it sort of creeps up on you. I thought it was an honest portrayal of all the feelings and situations he must have been having, and I really liked how human the main character remained, despite some strong anger and other emotional issues.

pandamans said...

This one is in my top 5. Good stuff.

Unknown said...

Harmon did a very good job of making multi-dimensional characters. This book is hard to put down once you get into it!

Librarykat said...

I am reading this, and trying very hard to finish it before the meeting! I am really liking it so far, I can't wait to finish it.