Monday, February 23, 2009

Two Parties, One Tux, and a Very Short Film about the Grapes of Wrath by Steven Goldman

In this funny story, Mitchell's best friend David comes out of the closet (only to him), they take girls to the prom, Mitchell gets dumped and then realizes he is better off dating his sister's best friend. He also turned in a mildly risque film project in place of an essay on "The Grapes of Wrath" because he didn't want to read the book And he still has to come to terms with his best friend being gay.

6 comments:

Patty said...

This one might be a come from behind winner! Other than the too-long title, this book has it all: a funny protaganist, romance, a gay best friend, concerns about school, and a timeless tale to tell. I liked it; I liked it alot!

Josh B. said...

I would agree. This book kinda came out of no where for me and was just awesome. All the charcters were very real as was the book, and it was just so funny the whole way through.

Librarykat said...

I enjoyed the book but it isn't in my top 5. Part of my problem is that it seemed kind of similar to Playing with Matches with the loser guy and the popular girl stuff. Plus, I saw the M.C. thing coming from the start of the book.

Allison said...

I really enjoyed it too. I talked one of my teens into reading it and he did since I asked him. He later thanked me and then proceeded to get other teens to read it.

pandamans said...

It was a very entertaining read - funny - but I'm not sure where I'd place it overall...It's about on the same level for me as Venomous. Very nearly in the top 5.

Anna said...

I also enjoyed the book. There was a lot of very interesting commentary on being the friend of someone who is gay. Did there have to be the horrid prom? (So many have the horrid proms!) I laughed out loud several times during the book.