Monday, February 23, 2009

Venomous by Christopher Krovatin


Chris Krovatin (rhymes with "Satan") has written a touching, humorous, meaningful novel profiling Locke (stockinbarrel), a teen with a huge anger problem which he refers to as his alter ego, Venom. Locke beats the s*** out of people--so bad, they are barely alive after! Locke also loves his little brother and wants to set a good example for him. The novel alternates between Locke's story and the story of Venom, which of course becomes the story of Locke as well. Along the way, Locke makes some friends, falls in love, beats somebody up, gets a tattoo, and basically lives his teenaged life.

6 comments:

Patty said...

My #1 choice!!!!!!
I love you, Locke!

Allison said...

In my top 5 if not my top. I love Locke Stockenbarrel's relationship with his brother.

Josh B. said...

Ok, I just finished this book last night. I really liked it a lot, but I dont know if this would make the top five for me. His writing is good, and the story was interesting. However I did not find the characters to be to relatable over all, and dont think it appeals to as wide of an audience as some of the other books. It was a very good book, but I just think there are too many great books this year that overshadow it.

Librarykat said...

I liked how Locke and Lon interacted but I had some problems with this book, especially Locke's choice to continue to act like a victim. I also don't think that the anger issue really got clearly resolved.

pandamans said...

Perhaps on the cusp of my top 5, but not my top choice.

Anna said...

This is right up there for me! I was actually surprised by how I could relate to the characters (wonder what that says about me!) It didn't feel resolved to me though (agreeing with Kat here). . . and I worry about Locke's future . . .(yea, I know -it's fiction)