Monday, February 23, 2009

Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman



Bod's family was killed by the man Jack. He now lives in the graveyard that he toddled to the night his parents were killed and is protected by the ghosts that haunt the graveyard and his guardian who is neither living or dead. Jack is still after Bod but can only get to Bod if he leaves the graveyard. This book has been my favorite so far. The story is full of quirky characters and is full of snap shots of Bod's life from the night his parents were murdered through to the night when it was safe for him to leave and live his life.

6 comments:

Patty said...

Love this book.
Love Neil Gaiman.
Already won the Newbery.
Won't waste my vote, then.

Josh B. said...

Maybe its just me and being new to the award world, but I dont see why it matters if it won another award or not. I think at this point, although I have more to read, this is one of if not the best book I have read and seems to be a perfect choice for this award. It has a vote for me so far. Definately top five.

Allison said...

I have to agree. It is in my top 5. I think the characters have a wide appeal to a wide age range and it is timeless.

Librarykat said...

I think the book was good, but it isn't holding up for me like some of the others. Also, the resolution to his problem seemed kind of abrupt.

pandamans said...

The Newbery thing is causing me some grief as well -- but this is a damn good book. Better than the past three I read - neck and neck with FLB. I still got some more to plunge through -- but I was surprised at what I found here -- considering the Newbery.

Anna said...

I have to agree with Kat. This was just not my favorite book. I really like some of Gaiman's other books but just could not get into this . . . .the whole book is based on a self-fufilling prophecy and I almost felt - what is the point then! And at the end Bod has nothing . . . he won, but he has nothing as he goes into the world.