Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Two Parties, One Tux and A Very Short Film About the Grapes of Wrath by Steven Goldman

In this funny story, Mitchell's best friend David comes out of the closet (only to him), they take girls to the prom, Mitchell gets dumped and then realizes he is better off dating his sister's best friend. He also turned in a mildly risque film project in place of an essay on "The Grapes of Wrath" because he didn't want to read the book And he still has to come to terms with his best friend being gay. A fun book that I laughed out loud to. And eventually the cover makes sense. In the end, even though I thoroughly enjoyed the book, I'm not sure about its timelessness. I'm maybe.

2 comments:

Josh B. said...

I also really enjoyed this book and would actually give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. I though it was hilarious, and that the characters were very real. I dont remember anything glaring that would date the book so I would say that it is as timeless as any other book set in high school. I say yes.

Patty said...

I thought this book was hilarious! The characterizations were very real--especially David's sarcastic humor and Mitchell's shyness. I thought of this as John Green "lite" as I read it--not as much depth as John Green, but pretty funny! I'm giving it a Thumbs Up for now!