Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Gypsy Crown by Kate Forsyth

This the popular fantasy novelist Kate Forsyth's first teen novel. Kate Forsyth wrote Rhiannon's Ride, which is sitting on my beside table right now reminding me that if I am very good and finish up all these teen books, I can crack open her series for hours a pleasant escapism.

As far as I can tell, Gypsy Crown is meant for the middle school age child. The main character is a young orphan with the ability to tell the future. Within the first thirty pages most of her extended family is thrown in jail in connection with the death of a constable in Cromwell's England. Emilia sets out on a mission to gather the five talisman's held by various gypsy families in England, with the help her her friend Luka, her horse, Luka's dog, and the family dancing bear. Somehow these items will help save the family from certain death.

If I wasn't reading for the purpose of awarding prizes, I think this might be a nice enough read, but as it is, I can't see it as award-winning. Nay.

No comments: