Friday, October 3, 2008

Bog Child by Siobhan Dowd

This is a historical fiction story of a young man in 1981 Northern Ireland. Fergus's brother is in prison and on a hunger strike, though his mother doesn't want a lot of people to know. Fergus and his uncle while out digging illegally find a bog child from the iron age and Fergus dreams of the girl and what could have happened to her. To save his brother Fergus agrees to be a courier for, who he believes to be terrorists. Quite a bit happens. It is a decent book but I don't see it having wide teen appeal. I vote nay.

2 comments:

Pat said...

I really enjoyed this one. This is the first book I have read about the Irish hunger strikers. There were so many different levels to this account. I am voting YES for now.

Patty said...

I didn't think I'd like this one, but I really did. It sort of reminds me of Tamar by Mal Peet--good story, but not a lot of teen appeal. Reluctantly, NAY.