Friday, December 12, 2008

Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson


As the Revolutionary War begins, thirteen-year-old Isabel wages her own fight...for freedom. Promised freedom upon the death of their owner, she and her sister, Ruth, in a cruel twist of fate become the property of a malicious New York City couple, the Locktons, who have no sympathy for the American Revolution and even less for Ruth and Isabel. When Isabel meets Curzon, a slave with ties to the Patriots, he encourages her to spy on her owners, who know details of British plans for invasion. She is reluctant at first, but when the unthinkable happens to Ruth, Isabel realizes her loyalty is available to the bidder who can provide her with freedom.

I really enjoyed this book, and while there is a planned sequel (I think based on something at the end of the book) I think that it stands on its own. The biggest teen appeal will be the author's name, but if teens give it a chance I think they could really get into it. The protagonist is a bit young (13) but the story is strong. I give it a Thumbs Up.

2 comments:

Deb Motley said...

I listened to this one. I read it right after Octavian Nothing which is about the same subject; slaves during the Revolutionary war. Chains is a lot more accessible. I enjoyed the story, though I didn't care for the reader. I give it a thumbs up.

Allison said...

it was good but I'm not sure about great. I'm a maybe